Thursday, April 12, 2012

30 Day Book Challenge- A Book You've Read More Than Three Times

To Kill a Mockingbird, was first introduced to me by way of the summer World Literature Reading List. This reading list consisted of such classics such as To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, Greaty Gatsby and a few others I cannot even begin to remember. Our job was to read it during the summer and then we would go back and re-read/study it during the school year.

Let me tell you, this is still a book that no matter how many times I read it I still learn something new. What began as a piece to study as a sophomore has grown to a full-on love as an adult. I now teach this book to my Freshman, which means I am given the pleasure of re-reading it at least once a year.

I always warn my students that it begins slow. At least, in their eyes it begins slow, most of the students lack the amount of prior-knowledge needed to fully grasp the genius that is the beginning of the novel. It would take my a whole semester to teach them all they need to know to understand the little nuances at the beginning of the book. But I will say, despite the "slow" start, at the end of the novel, out of the four years I have taught which translates roughly to about 360 students, I can only name 10 who did not enjoy the book, and they did not even attempt to read it.

If you have not read the book...read it. Do not just read it, study it, learn about it, enjoy it. THink about Scout, as an adult looking back and retelling the story of when she was a child, think about the time period, the ages and the pure wonderment of living during that time period. To have a father like Atticus Finch (I actually kind of do, and I love him all the more for it).

Basically, if you have not read it. READ IT! And then watch the movie! Gregory Peck is phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...