Friday, November 5, 2010

And the travel bug begins...

I’ve always felt this restlessness inside of me that has urged me to go. In fact I’ve been told many times that the longer I stay in one place the antsier I get, you may even say I get downright depressed. I suffer from wanderlust.
        The first time I truly realized I suffered from wanderlust was my sophomore year of college. I was taking a travel writing course and was listening to all of the stories the students around me had to share; camping in the Amazon, skiing in the Swiss Alps, snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef, shopping in London and I felt like I had nothing of the sort to share. Sure I had been to the Bahamas and I had an amazing horseback riding experience in Monument Valley, I had skied in Colorado and Utah, gazed over the Grand Canyon I had been to Disney World, strolled the streets of Boston….heck my life was most peoples vacation. I grew up in Orlando a stone’s throw from some of the most famous tourist attractions in the world, and I went to college in Charleston, South Carolina arguably one of the most beautiful historical cities in America, but I felt as if I had never been anywhere. This class introduced me to wanderlust.
        Throughout the semester students would share their stories and my desire to travel grew. No longer was I satisfied with weekend trips to Tallahassee, the beach or Atlanta….I wanted to leave the country, I wanted a passport, I wanted to explore the world. Luckily it was about this time that my best friend Lindsey also was suffering for a desire to go to Europe.
        That is how my disease of wanderlust became a passion for travel.  My urge to go is now stronger than ever however I can now proudly say I’ve been to Europe I’ve traveled beyond my boundaries and I’ve discovered a passion that is costly  but rewarding.  In honor of this wanderlust itch I am constantly suffering from I am going to share with you my personal favorite travel destinations.



*Top Eight Favorite Travel Destinations

  • London, England
  • “When you tire of London, you tire of life.”  This is definitely the truth when it comes to London.  A city full of things to do whether its history you seek or the theater you love there is something to do in London. Amazing pubs and great people keep you coming back for more. Camden Town in London also allows for your inner punk to come out and play. Also the British Museum with the Elgin Marbles and the West Minister Abbey are amazing historical sites that will leave you in awe. Even if you tire of the city bustle London has many parks that were originally palace hunting grounds for you to escape to and relax. There is no better city than London.
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
  • Probably one of the most beautiful cities in the world Edinburgh is a site to behold. With the ancient castle overlooking the modern city and beautiful park there is no skyline that is more peculiar or entrancing. Also located in Edinburgh is one of the best bars in the world – Whistle Binkies, an “American Rock & Roll Bar” with a definite Scottish flair whether you want to jam out front with the live music of the night or hide in the caves in the back there is something to be enjoyed.  Edinburgh is also not a far trip from a visit with Nessie, why not take a boat out on the lake and hope for a chance encounter? Also as an English Literature lover, its no surprise that the Literary Capital of the world would be one of my favorite cities.  Why not peruse where JK Rowling wrote the first Harry Potter Book, or study the medical center where Robert Louis Stevenson studied. Also a trip to Edinburgh is not complete without a  few hours spent in the park people watching, little kids, boxing matches, kites and soccer are a surefire way to pass the time
  • Charleston, South Carolina
  • Historic Sites, amazing food, gorgeous weather and a plethora of bars – Charleston is one city no one wants to miss.  Charleston not only boasts the USS Yorktown and Ft. Sumter but it is also home to the Citadel and the College of Charleston. CofC founded in 1770 is the oldest Municipal  College in the country and owns some of the most famous buildings in US History. A perfect day in Charleston starts with Brunch at Poogan’s Porch and is followed by a stroll down Market and King to peruse the shops, a quick lunch at the college friendly Kickin Chicken and a tour of the College of Charleston and other historical homes. A night in Charleston would also not be complete without a trip to 82 Queens followed by drinks at Henry’s, Big Johns and Mad River.
  • Breckenridge, Colorado
  • Situated about 2 hours outside of Denver, Breckenridge is the perfect place to escape to in the winter or summer.  In the summer Breckenridge is a beautiful spot to hunker down. The quaint town has hundreds of little locally owned shop and is divided into by a beautiful river.  Breckenridge is not only an amazing place to ski and snowboard but it is a great place for biking in the summer and is a short drive from White Water Rafting, Snowmobiling and Four Wheeling hot spots. So whether you want to go somewhere beautiful to relax and shop or you want to go on an X-Gamessque Adventure Breckenridge has something to offer.
  • Paris, France
  • Strangely enough the best things about Paris are not in Paris. While the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and the many museums are amazing sites to behold the magic and beauty of Paris is located at Versailles. It is in Versailles that the magic of Paris is really felt. The over the top splendor of the palace and the beauty of the gardens shows how lavish and selfishness that  the reign of Louis XIV and Marie Antoinette was. Paris is beautiful and no trip to Paris is complete without visiting all the obvious tourist traps and eating crème brule drinking wine and eating the fine breads and cheese. Paris is a wonderful city and a beautiful site to behold. The only downfall to Paris is the difficulty of its subway system and the coldness of its citizens.
  • St. John’s Island – US Virgin Islands   
  • Beautiful beaches …..check…….water sports….check…..lots of fun check…. Home of 2 of the worlds best beaches St. John’s Island is a wonderful place to escape and relax. Not only are the beaches wonderful in St. John’s but they have wonderful snorkeling spots. St. John’s also boasts a world famous bar/restaurant “Woody’s” that is favorite of country music star’s Kenny Chesney. St. John’s is the place where if you can ride a rollercoaster you can survive a taxi ride. Be weary of the over prices restaurants and stick to places like Woody’s which are filled with fun, food and drinks!
  • Boston, MA
  • Boston one of America’s greatest cities is also one of America’s greatest vacations. Whether it’s the beautiful gardens, historic tombstones or the shopping, Boston is an amazing place to behold. In Boston tombstone rubbing or hosting your own version of a Boston Tea Party is a great way to past the time for kids and adults a like, and an afternoon stroll through the Quincy Market for lunch is by far one of the best ways to spend a few hours. Boston a beautiful city with a historical past is one place in America you don’t want to miss!
  • Asheville, North Carolina
  • Asheville is a beautiful town nestled into the Appalachian Mountains. The beautiful scenery and unique landscape make Asheville quite a wonder. In a town where hippies, young professionals, and artist come together you have an amazing downtown with high culture (great art, music and museums) as well as neat opportunities. In Asheville a trip downtown, and a trip to the Biltmore is a must. Asheville is an amazing vacation spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...